[Paraview] Opacity problem with Paraview 3.1/3.2

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 2 16:09:52 EDT 2007

We're seeing a problem with opacity with very basic models in Paraview
3.1 and 3.2.  Using the stock cylinder source and setting the opacity to
0.5, we're getting this:

    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~turam/paraview/pv-snap01.jpg

Note that the opacity is applied to the polygons inconsistently.  When
rotating the model, some opaque polygons become transparent, and
transparent polygons become opaque.  When setting opacity to 0, the
entire model becomes transparent.

I found some seemingly related reports that reference bug 2347:

    http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=2347

which includes patches for 2.6 which have been applied in the 3.x code,
and a later reference to more work that will be done.

Is this a known problem encountered by others?  Should we suspect a
machine/graphics configuration problem?  Is it likely related to the
proposed fixes in bug 2347?

Tom Uram

Details:
Paraview:  3.1, 3.2
Platform:  Ubuntu Linux 7.04
Graphics card:  nVidia 8800 GTX (latest driver, 100.14.19)
Additional details on request.