[Paraview] Crash in animation with paraview III

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue May 29 10:35:49 EDT 2007

Hi Stefano,

Unfortunately, you cannot animate a file series directly in 3.0 as you
could in 2.6. We will add this feature back in 3.2. Having said that,
the crash is a bug. The file name track should not be there in the
first place. We will fix that in the next patch release.

You can animate file series of XML-based vtk files (.vtu .vtp .pvu
.pvtp etc...) by writing a simple .pvd wrapper file. The pvd file
would look like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<VTKFile type="Collection" version="0.1" byte_order="LittleEndian"
compressor="vtkZLibData
Compressor">
  <Collection>
    <DataSet timestep="0"  file="file1.vtp"/>
    <DataSet timestep="1"  file="file2.vtp"/>
    <DataSet timestep="2"  file="file3.vtp"/>
  </Collection>
</VTKFile>

Note that timestep is actually a floating point number so you can
associate any time value with a timestep. This value can then be
displayed through the time annotation source.

-berk