[Paraview] extracting surfaces

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed May 23 10:13:48 EDT 2007

We will eventually add a way of specifying whether you want to write
vtk files as binary or ascii. Currently, vrml is the only format that
will produce ascii, I believe. It would also be easy to write a vtk
python script that reads a vtk file and prints the results in human
readable form.

-berk

On 5/23/07, Stephen Wornom <Stephen.Wornom at sophia.inria.fr> wrote:
> Berk Geveci wrote:
>
> > After applying the extract surface filter, you can write the data
> > (File->Save Data) as any polygonal data file format paraview supports
> > (legacy vtk (.vtk), xml vtk (.vtp), pvd, vrml (.wrl) and a few
> > others). Make sure the extract surface filter is selected when you
> > save.
> >
> > -berk
>
> Worked fine except that the file is in a data format. What I wanted was
> the ascii coordinates to enter into a time series computing code in
> order to save the solutions only on the extracted plane (small number of
> points). Is there a way to save the data in a readable format?
> Stephen
>

> > On 5/23/07, Stephen Wornom <Stephen.Wornom at sophia.inria.fr> wrote:
> >
> >> After I extract a surface from an unstructured 3D mesh, how do I save
> >> the extracted coordinates?
> >> Stephen

 Berk Geveci
 Kitware Inc.