[Paraview] animation

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Thu May 3 10:51:42 EDT 2007

Franz Th. Langer wrote:
> when I want to do animation with a vtk-file :
> 1) is it possible ?

Yes. If there is a series of VTK files in a directory whose names differ only
by a number then PV will use them all in an animation. For example: test1.vtk,
test2.vtk, ..., test100.vtk. There may be some additional requirements.

> 2) can I use just one vtk-files with all the results for all timesteps
>   included?

No. There is no VTK file format that allows that (consult the VTK file format
document).

However, PV understands a format called "pvd" which is a metafile (no data)
that references any number of additional VTK files that contain the data at
each time. However, in this case, the VTK files must use the newer XMl-based
format.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center