[Paraview] PV 2.6.0 Killing MPICH

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Mon Mar 26 11:00:34 EST 2007

I was looking at a 2D array of about 6000x6000 values and
things were looking correct. I turned off composite and
after a minute the server printing the following then crashed:

======
Process id: 2 >> ERROR: In
.../src/VTK/Filtering/vtkExecutive.cxx, line 757
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline (0x6cfe310): Algorithm
vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader(0x6cea090) returned failure for
request: vtkInformation (0x6cfef70)
   Debug: Off
   Mp0_3205:  p4_error: alloc_p4_msg: Message size exceeds
P4s maximum message size: 477346479
======

It looks like PV was trying to send something big instead of
multiple smaller pieces. Does it check for the maximum MPI
message size?

    Paraview 2.6.0, client and server
    Using four x86_64 processors
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4
    MPICH 1.2.7p1 with the ch_p4 device model

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center