[Paraview] Input text

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Fri Mar 2 10:15:44 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 21:29 -0600, Gerald Labedz wrote:
> Dear all, I am brand new to ParaView and VTK, but not to visualization (as
> an old AVS user). I have the ParaView book, but cannot figure out how to
> input a simple text file of N-Dimensional data. Pls advise me or point me to
> how to read in a (large) .txt. Thanks
> Gerry Labedz
> Motorola

The best thing would probably be for you to describe the data and how
it's laid out in the file. What type of data is it? Is it image data? Is
it point data? Is it polygonal data? What type of data do you have at
each position in space, scalar, vector, matrix? When you consider all of
the types of data that ParaView is meant to work with there really isn't
a simple text file.

Also ParaView and VTK can only handle 3 spacial dimensions. You can
always write a program to look at any three dimensions as space, pick
one for time, one for color, one for transparency, one for some sort of
glyph, .... I get N-D nightmares!

ITK is made to work with N-D data.

There is a reader ( the particle reader ) that works for one fairly
common type of text file, that is points with scalar values like this:

x1 y1 z1 v1
x2 y2 z2 v2
x3 y3 z3 v3
.
.
.

or even :

x1 y1 z1 v1 x2 y2 z2 v2 x3 y3 z3 v3 . . .