[Paraview] Paraview 3.0.2 crashes when trying to connect to a server. A bug?

Marc Baaden baaden at smplinux.de
Fri Jun 29 18:22:48 EDT 2007

(Recall: the problem was for paraview 3 client that crashes when
connecting to any other server than builtin)

Ok, I have some more info.

I tried the same (copied the compiled binaries) on another machine.
Here it works fine. I can also connect from this machine to the machine
that I tried previously and that crashes when the client is run locally
(now only running the pvserver).

So the problem seems to be with the paraview.app client running on the
machine that I tested first. The one thing that is different on this
machine is that it is behind a firewall and has a proxy set up. Could
that have something to do with it?

I can try and get some more info on the crash (stack trace or the like)
next week, but for now I can only access the machine remotely and thus
not start the client. [how do you do stack traces on the mac with an
XXX.app executable?] The only 'debug' output I had so far was a segmentation
fault, when trying to run either of
1) pvTestDriver --run-test-init=/opt/paraview-cvs/Applications/Client/Testing/Cxx/ManualConnectCS.xml
2) pvTestDriver --run-test-init=/opt/paraview-cvs/Applications/Client/Testing/Cxx/ManualConnectCRSDS.xml

Some other 'issues' or observations:
- when I start pvserver with eg -np 4, I only have 3 pvserver tasks
running at about 99%, and occasionnally a 4th at ~20%. Is that to be
expected?
- there seem to be some artefacts for eg Volume Rendering or Points
representation (presumably at the boundaries of the rendered sub-images).
Can these artefacts be avoided or corrected for?
- is it possible to 'reload' sessions that were saved previously with
the builtin server using another server setting? If I try and do so for
eg a saved state file, it closes the server connection and starts up a
builtin server..

Thanks very much in advance,
Marc

--
 Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
 mailto:baaden at smplinux.de      -      http://www.baaden.ibpc.fr