[Paraview] paraview 3.0.1 build on MacOS X is brittle

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Jun 19 14:50:17 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

A few comments:

1. We do not have any plans to support a paraview built with x11 on
the Mac. It is great that fink is distributing paraview but if you are
running it and run into any stability issues related to rendering, you
will be on your own. I simply don't have time or funding to maintain
it. Furthermore, some of the optimizations and GPU related features
will not be available through the x11 version because the default glx
does not support all extensions accessible through Carbon or Cocoa.

2. If someone can fix the CMakeLists.txt files  by following Clint's
advice and the fix is reasonable, I would be very happy to incorporate
it in the official source base.

3.  I just read on the whole Carbon/64 bit issue. It is a shame.
Hopefully, the decision is not to never have a 64 bit Carbon but it is
not having it in Leopard to avoid delays. Either way, you will have to
either build an x11 version of paraview or run in client/server and
build the server separately using Cocoa to have 64 bit support in
Leopard.

-berk

On 6/19/07, Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu> wrote:
> Mike,
>    I'm not saying that you have to take the MacOS X build
> back to X11. Just make the build process flexible enough
> that if Carbon QT isn't being used, the MacOS X build
> defaults back to a linux-like X11 build. It shouldn't
> be rocket science to do that.
>                   Jack
>
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:25:49AM -0400, Mike Jackson wrote:
> > I still need a _good_ reason for building against X11. Just because it
> > _can_ be done does not mean it _should_ be done. OS X users _expect_ a
> > proper OS X application bundle to use. We (OS X Users) have been
> > screaming at the ParaView folks for years to do this so we did not
> > have to rely on X11 to run ParaView. Now that we have it you want to
> > take us back to X11? I don't think so. I would rather see Kitware's
> > resources put to other tasks than to back port to X11.

 Berk Geveci
 Kitware Inc.
 28 Corporate Drive
 Clifton Park, NY, 12065