[Paraview] MPI-enabled pvserver using SSH

KLemmons at beckman.com KLemmons at beckman.com
Wed Jun 13 14:29:33 EDT 2007

Hello,

I got ParaView 2.6 compiled with MPI enabled, tested it locally (it
works), and went to test it using a few pvservers on the nodes in my
cluster, and I see the splash screen, but (paradoxically enough) an
invisible window is created whose title in the task bar is "unable to open
display." This happens both physically, from the cluster head node, and
remotely from our control box (connects to the head node via SSH with
OpenGL-enabled X-forwarding).  Looking around at archives and searching
online has only led me to one possible cause, and that is that when the
pvserver spawns the children servers, they are not able to open an X
display (for rendering purposes?). If they are looking for an open
display, they won't find them, because X is not running (but it is
installed and working) on each of the nodes.  Looking at the output of ps
aux, I noticed something very interesting:
foobar      3597  0.0  0.2   4440  2216 pts/14   S    14:27   0:00      |
    \_ /usr/bin/rsh n101 -l foobar -n /usr/local/bin/pvserver cluster
36515 \-p4amslave \-p4yourname n101 \-p4rmrank 1
foobar      3956  0.0  0.2   4440  2216 pts/14   S    14:27   0:00      |
    \_ /usr/bin/rsh n109 -l foobar -n /usr/local/bin/pvserver cluster
36515 \-p4amslave \-p4yourname n109 \-p4rmrank 9
This uses RSH, which as far as I know does not do X forwarding.  What
makes this interesting is that I cannot find this remote shell command
specified anywhere in the mpirun scripts (they all use SSH by default),
and this was verified by our MPI hello world program:
foobar     10621  1.2  0.2   4444  2220 pts/14   S    14:29   0:00      |
    \_ /usr/bin/ssh n101 -l foobar -n /foo/bar/mpi/mpihw cluster 48369
\-p4amslave \-p4yourname n101 \-p4rmrank 1
foobar     10869  2.0  0.2   4440  2216 pts/14   S    14:29   0:00      |
    \_ /usr/bin/ssh n109 -l foobar -n /foo/bar/mpi/mpihw cluster 48369
\-p4amslave \-p4yourname n109 \-p4rmrank 9

My thought is that using SSH might allow me to either (a) specify that
X-forwarding is enabled by default (via the ssh config file) or (b) once I
figure out how to set it, I can specify "/usr/bin/ssh -X -Y" as the remote
shell command/options.

I have been unsuccessful in locating where pvserver determines to use rsh
instead of ssh, as it is not specified (from what I can tell) anywhere in
the CMake configuration or in the build files, and I cannot find in the
documentation where this setting might be located.

My questions are as follows:
1. Why is my pvserver trying to use rsh when the default would appear to
be ssh? Could this cause the problem I am decribing?
2. Are there any other ways for the nodes to connect to a display without
X-forwarding? (did I misconfigure something?)
3. If it should be using ssh and the reason why it isn't is not obvious
from my above description, what would the next step be in determining my
problem?

Thanks,
~Kyle
The server made the following annotations
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Beckman Coulter, Inc. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.