[Paraview] transient data

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Jun 11 09:04:00 EDT 2007

Hi Oliver,

Since you are already writing vts files, it would be very easy to load them
in ParaView 3 as a time series. All you have to do is to write a meta-file
that points to your vts files. This is an xml file with .pvd extension. It
should look like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<VTKFile type="Collection" version="0.1" byte_order="LittleEndian"
compressor="vtkZLibData
Compressor">
  <Collection>
    <DataSet timestep="0" file="Foo_001.vts"/>
    <DataSet timestep="1" file="Foo_002.vts"/>
  </Collection>
</VTKFile>

The value in timestep attribute is a float and should be the time value for
that timestep.

-berk

On 6/11/07, Oliver Gloth <oliver.gloth at engits.com> wrote:

>  Hello all,
>

> I have been using ParaView for quite some time no to visualise CFD data.
> So far I have created multiple data files to visualise transient data:
>

> Foo_001.vts
>
> Foo_002.vts
>
> Foo_003.vts
>

> ParaView used to automatically enable the filename as a parameter for an
> animation. Apparently this feature is not supported in the current release,
> but will be back in the future. Is there a better way to deal with transient
> data files? What would be the recommended best practice to create an
> animation from a transient simulation?
>

> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Oliver

Berk Geveci