[Paraview] [vtm] file formats

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Jun 7 12:00:54 EDT 2007

Hi Soren,

If you checkout VTKData from CVS, there is an example file there. It
is VTKData/Data/chombo3d/chombo3d.vtm. Let me know if have any
questions about the format once you look at the example. You will have
to provide dummy values for cells that are overlapped by higher
levels. I would recommend using values from higher levels if possible.
There are tools in paraview that let you explore a certain level. In
this case, it would be useful to have valid values even on cells that
are covered by higher order ones. Other than that, if you follow the
example of  chombo3d.vtm, paraview will automatically detect overlaps
and hide the cells that have higher level versions. In order for this
to work properly, you have to make sure that you specify amr_box for
each block properly.

-berk

On 6/7/07, Sören Freudiger <muffmolch at gmx.de> wrote:
> I cannot find any explizit information about the metafile file format of the
> vtm files.
> Can anybody help me out?
> Expecially for the hieracrchicalboxset format (AMR Block...).
>
> We need to write a multiblock file with different refinement levels. Each
> block has an uniform matrix dataset (equal resolution inside each block).
> The image data format seems to fit quite well, but makes problems if not
> every node of the "whole extend" gets values. Even if these areas are
> overlapped by finer blocks.
>
> Thanks for any help or examples.

 Berk Geveci
 Kitware Inc.