[Paraview] Newbie question about paraview's parallel visualization procedure

Raashid Baig raashid.b at rediffmail.com
Wed Jul 11 03:41:48 EDT 2007

Thanks a lot for helping me with my frustrating condition.  The problem
with the invisible window being created whose title in the task bar is
"unable to open display" has gone, I compiled the sources again with
off-screen rendering enabled and start the paraview server with
off-screen rendering now.

Server end :
raashid at ender:~/src/cvs/paraview-unix-new/bin$ mpirun -np 2 ./pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering

Client End :
raashid at ged:~/src/cvs/paraview-unix-new/bin$ ./pvclient --server-host=10.101.11.72

The client gets connected to the server and works fine.

You suggested to check the check-box next to Composite and move the
slider all the way to the left (0 MBytes) and then try to visualize.
When I do this no matter how small the dataset is when I open it and
press the accept button a message is displayed saying "Server
connection has been dropped. ParaView client will be terminated"

The terminal output on client was :

raashid at ged:~/src/cvs/paraview-unix-new/bin$ ./pvclient --server-host=10.101.11.72
Connected to server
ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file: /home/raashid/src/cvs/ParaView/Servers/Common/vtkServerConnection.cxx (67)
 vtkServerConnection (0xc0ee1b8): Server Connection Closed!
ErrorMessage end

The terminal output on server was :

raashid at ender:~/src/cvs/paraview-unix-new/bin$ mpirun -np 2 ./pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering
Listen on port: 11111
Waiting for client...
Client connected.
One of the processes started by mpirun has exited with a nonzero exit
code.  This typically indicates that the process finished in error.
If your process did not finish in error, be sure to include a "return
0" or "exit(0)" in your C code before exiting the application.

PID 6385 failed on node n0 (10.101.11.72) due to signal 11.

Also I tried 3 different cases of composting for a dataset of 0.5
million (vtk-xml file type, try to draw glyph at each point)

Case 1. Composting is off

Case 2. Composting is on and value is increased (to 10.0 MB)

Case 3. Composting in on and value is turned to 0.0 MB

In all cases I noticed one thing, on the lower left side of the
window, where the the running process is display, every time when the
message "MPIMoveData" is displayed the paraview crashes.

I dont know if this thing is useful, but I just wanted to let you know.