[Paraview] Newbie question about paraview's parallel visualization procedure

Raashid Baig raashid.b at rediffmail.com
Sun Jul 8 15:37:47 EDT 2007

I am a newbie to parallel visualization and ParaView in general and I
am some very basic problems with ParaView.

I am using ParaView2.6.X and trying to do performance analysis with
increasing dataset on ParaView as a part of an academic project. I
want to see what are the gains in CPU & memory usage and time required
to render a particular dataset when ParaView is runs in parallel. All
machines have Intel Core Duo 2, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and 2GB swap, NVidia 7series graphics cards and work on Debian/Ubuntu Linux.

I have structured data-sets with point attributes in form of VTK-XML
files (*.vts). When I run paraview in stand-alone mode on a single machine, I am able to draw glyph at each point of the data sets upto 1.5 million grid points. But when I put the same VTK XML files on 3 different computers (all have ParaView 2.6.X installed) and run ParaView through LAM/MPI in client-server mode where server is running on 2 computers and the client is running on another computer, performance decreases drastically. Not only does the time taken to render final image, cpu and memory usage increase, I am only able to dram glyps till 0.5 million grid points. After 0.5 million point the get an error (this particular error is for a dataset of 0.5 million) :

on client :

raashid at ged:~/src/cvs/paraview-unix-new/bin$ ./pvclient --server-host=10.101.11.72
Connected to server
ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file: /home/raashid/src/cvs/ParaView/Servers/Common/vtkProcessModule.cxx (1171)
 vtkProcessModule (0xc0c7530): Received exception from server: Insufficient memory exception.
ErrorMessage end
ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file: /home/raashid/src/cvs/ParaView/Servers/Common/vtkServerConnection.cxx (67)
 vtkServerConnection (0xc0ee1b8): Server Connection Closed!
ErrorMessage end

on master node of the server I get the following error message :

raashid at ender:~/src/cvs/paraview-unix-new/bin$ mpirun -np 2 ./pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering
Listen on port: 11111
Waiting for client...
Client connected.
Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In /home/raashid/src/cvs/ParaView/VTK/Common/vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx, line 95
vtkFloatArray (0xad19b48): Unable to allocate 46593000 elements of size 4 bytes.

Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In /home/raashid/src/cvs/ParaView/Servers/Common/vtkProcessModule.cxx, line 1187
vtkProcessModule (0xa7f14c8): Exception: Insufficient memory exception.

Am I using the wrong file type, if yes what should I use ?
I have not changed any LOD parameters. Is there some threshold limit I
am violating ?