[Paraview] Re: Unable to connect to pvserver running in parallel

KLemons at beckman.com KLemons at beckman.com
Fri Jul 6 12:20:37 EDT 2007

The key to this for me was to make sure I had it compiled with offscreen
rendering, and then starting the server like this: (node01 is the main
node)

node01> mpirun -np $PROCS `which pvserver` --use-offscreen-rendering
$PVSERVOPTS &
[ output truncated ]
node01> pvclient $PVCLNTOPTS

mpirun takes care of migrating the paraview server onto the other nodes
and making sure they're connected to one another properly, while the
offscreen rendering switch enables it to do the rendering without
connecting to an actual X display (via chromium, I believe) and then
combined onto a single display on the client.  I spent some time messing
around with the cmake configuration, so you might have to poke around
there a bit too.

Hope this helps,
~Kyle

"Raashid Baig" <raashid.b at rediffmail.com> wrote on 07/06/2007 03:17:34 AM:

> Respected Sir,
> I am sorry for mailing you directly like this, but its very urgent
> and I need to get ParaView working in parallel and generate some
> results within 2/3 days, otherwise I am in a lot of trouble, please
> help me with my problem. From the Paraview mailing I saw that you
> had a similar problem sometime ago.
>
> I have 3 computers ged=10.101.11.71, ender=10.101.11.72, bean=10.
> 101.11.70 and all are installed with ParaView2.6.X and have
> Debian/Ubuntu Linux
>
> When I start pvserver on a single computer(ender) and connect the
> pvclient on another computer(ged) to the running pvserver on ender,
> everything works fine.
>
> But when I run the pvserver as an LAM(7.1.2)/MPI program on 2
> different computers (ender and bean, ender being the master node) and
> try to connect the pvclient (on ged) to the master node of the
> pvserver (ender) I get splash screen (which comes when we start the
> paraview), but an invisible window is created whose title in the task
> bar is "unable to open display",
>
> I have enabled xhost to everyone (perhaps out of desperation) on the
> computer where the client is running using xhost +. I have also used
> X11 forwarding through ~/.ssh/config on all the computers
>
> I don't get any error message of any sort even though the pvclient
> fails to start.
>
> raashid at ender:~/src/cvs/paraview-unix/bin$ mpirun -np 2 ./pvserver
> Listen on port: 11111
> Waiting for client...
> Client connected.
> Client connection closed.
>
> raashid at ged:~/src/cvs/paraview-unix/bin$ ./pvclient
--server-host=10.101.11.72
> Connected to server
>
> Please help me with this problem, because I am in serious trouble.

The server made the following annotations
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Beckman Coulter, Inc. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.