[Paraview] Reader with Multiple Outputs

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Jan 30 16:40:14 EST 2007

I think there are 2 major uses of multiple outputs:
1. Fixed number of outputs, each output with a specific purpose. For
example, a filter that clips a dataset producing inside as 1 output
and outside as another. This is best implemented as a multiple output
filter.
2. Variable number of outputs, each of a subset of a whole. This is
what multi-group (multi-block or AMR) is designed for. This is best
implemented as a 1 output reader/filter that produces multi-group.

ParaVIew supports 2. It does not support 1 well.

-berk

On 1/30/07, Sean Ziegeler <seanzig at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Can you not create each data set in a separate group (i.e.,
> vtkMultiGroup), or am I misunderstanding the problem?
>
> -Sean
>
> Berk Geveci wrote:
> > ParaView does not support this yet. We will be adding this feature to
> > paraview 3 next month.
> >
> > -berk
> >
> > On 1/30/07, Mike Jackson <mike.jackson at imts.us> wrote:
> >> Can I write a reader that has multiple outputs? Ie.. I am reading
> >> some data and converting it to vtkPolyData and I want to segregate
> >> the data. I was thinking of having a pair of vtkPolyData Objects, one
> >> to hold each type of "data".
> >>
> >> If this is possible, is there an example I can look at?
> >>
> >> THanks
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer
> >> Innovative Management & Technology Services

 Berk Geveci
 Kitware Inc.
 28 Corporate Drive
 Clifton Park, NY, 12065