RES: [Paraview] Newbie: contributing with an implementation of theSplatting algorithm

Jordi Campos i Miralles jcampos at maia.ub.es
Mon Jan 22 11:47:42 EST 2007

El dl 15 de 01 del 2007 a les 23:54 -0300, en/na Renato N. Elias va
escriure:
> Hi Jordi,
>
> First of all I should tell you that I know nothing about what you told in
> your post since I'm not a visualization guy. I'm just a CFD developer and a
> ^curious^ user of visualization tools. Therefore, forgive me if I'm only
> wasting your time -- my intention was good ;o)

First of all, thank you for your time ;) I took a lot of time to answer
because we were preparing a ParaView introduction workshop to high
school students (I've just sent a message to the list about it, that is
placed here [1]). So, sorry for the delay.

> Some time ago I posted a message asking for some technique to visualize SPH
> (Smoothed Particle Hydrodinamics) and DEM (Discrete Element Method) data. At
> that time I got some answers addressing the visualization of particle data
> within VTK ([1, 2]) using a splatting algorithm (take a look here
> http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkGaussianSplatter.html)

Certainly, this can be used when implementing the Splatting algorithm,
but it only represents the very last step of the algorithm.

> [1] http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/paraview/2006-February/002550.html
>
> [2] http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/paraview/2006-February/002547.html
> p.s.: Some guys from CSCS lab are working with particle data visualization
> (http://www.cscs.ch/a-display.php?id=170). Once again, I don't know if this
> software (Sparticles) uses something related to the splatting technique.

The example from CSCS seems to take a 'surface rendering' approach,
while the Splatting algorithm is used to perform 'direct volume
rendering' DVR [2]. In DVR, all the 'volume' is rendered considering
that is internally heterogeneous.

So, it seems that the vtkGaussianSplatter can be used to implement the
algorithm but no Splatting Algorithm implementation is available in VTK.

> Regards
>
> Renato N. Elias

Thanks for your answer. I rest a little bit more to see if somebody else
answers.

Regards,

jor;)i