[Paraview] Not understanding large memory use

Mike Jackson mike.jackson at imts.us
Fri Jan 5 09:14:03 EST 2007

I have a stack of images, Each image is 700x700 pixels and there are
227 images in total. I used ITK to convert the gray scale images to a
vtk StructuredGrid file using 8bit chars as the pixel type. Paraview
can load the file with out a problem but when I try to use the "Clip"
toolbar button paraview starts chewing up memory until there is no
more and just crashes. I can use the "Cut" toolbar button and be just
fine.

So I did some math and there are 111,230,000 pixels at 1 byte each.
So that is roughly about 111MB to store the entire volume. If I Clip
say half that volume wouldn't I just need an additional 50~60MB of
memory to store the new dataset?

If someone could maybe enlighten me on what might be going on I would
really appreciate the knowledge gained.

This is on a 2GB Ram MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.8.

thanks
--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer