[Paraview] Error: Transparent objects actually solid?

William Hunter willemjagter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 14:58:11 EST 2007

List;

I've come across 'odd' behaviour when objects are
transparent: An object with an alpha value < 1.0 can hide another
transparent. The file below contains two cubes, blue and green. The blue
cube is visible through the green cube, but not vice versa (if you rotate).
Also, if I set the blue cube's alpha value (in the lookup table) to 0.0, it
completely hides the green one, I would've expected to see the green cube
since the blue one is transparent (?)

The only way to get around this is to set the opacity value to anything <
1.00 in the Object Inspector (Display/Style), then it works, which is
probably OK, but it's freaking me out... This is for ParaView 2.6 and alpha
3.

Is this the intended behaviour? If not, what gives?

# vtk DataFile Version 2.0
Really freaky data
ASCII
DATASET UNSTRUCTURED_GRID