[Paraview] paraview hangs at splash screen

Dave Semeraro semeraro at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 23 14:57:02 EST 2007

Hello,

I am having a strange problem I cant seem to diagnose. I have a 5 node Rocks
cluster, 4 tiles and one head node. I am running paraview in client server
mode.
Everything works fine running the server on the tiles and the client on the
head except
when the first node in the hostfile is tile -1-1, the last node in the
cluster. In that
situation the client hangs in the splash screen.

The odd bit is that the cluster is stable and homogeneous. I can kill the
server and
the node does not freeze or crash. The system is happy as a clam as long as
tile-1-1 does not have to be mpi rank 0 and talk to the client. It doesnt
seem to be
a network problem because the client connects to the server on tile-1-1 as
verified by
the client connected message. It just seems to stop communicating. Anyone else
ever have this problem? I would suspect a hardware problem except for the
fact that
everything runs fine when tile-1-1 is not the first node in the cluster.

Regards,
Dave