[Paraview] Confused of offscreen rendering, mangled mesa,

Weiguang Guan guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca
Thu Feb 8 16:18:59 EST 2007

Hi paraview/VTK experts,

I was working on building/running Paraview on a cluster without graphics
card a while ago, and now I want to resume the unfinished task...

I have some questions related to the above-mentioned task:

(1) Mesa is a pure software implementation of OpenGL standard. Is Mesa the
only choice for offscreen rendering?

(2) If I want to build and run Paraview on a computing cluster, any node
of which doesn't have graphics card installed, do I have to build Paraview
with mangled Mesa? If the cluster doesn't have any other OpenGL lib
installed, then do I have to "mangle" Mesa?

(3) If I build Paraview with mangled Mesa, can I see rendering from
Paraview or is it offscreen exclusive?

Thank you in advance.

Weiguang