[Paraview] Manually set UGrid point IDs for time-series plotting?

Eric Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Dec 20 14:10:10 EST 2007

Hey Dave,

I have now been able to successfully use the SetGlobalIds() method for
my vtkUnstructuredGrid PointData, but there seem to be some issues
with reading the *.vtu files into ParaView properly.

ParaView recognizes that there are Global Ids set (the Use Global Ids
check box becomes available in both the Plot Point Over Time and the
Selection Inspector), but they don't seem to be valid for some reason.
For example, when points are selected, the Selection Inspector shows
the Index for the points, but if you check Use Global Ids the list
goes blank (and plotting using these Global Ids doesn't work, and in
the Selection Inspector if you try to uncheck Use Global Ids, ParaView
crashes).

ExodusII files seem to work fine in all these cases, but not VTK XML
Unstructured Grids. If I save either box.ex2 or can.ex2 as a vtu file,
then reload it, PV behaves just like with my data. (In case it helps,
I noticed that the global IDs' Data Type are listed for ex2 files as
"idtype", while they are listed as "int" for an unstructured grid
loaded from a vtu file.)

Any clues as to where the problem might lie (me, VTK, ParaView...)?

Thanks,
-Eric