[Paraview] Saving movie offscreen

David Neckels dneckels at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 14 15:56:49 EST 2007

Hi,

Hopefully this question is not too basic, but here goes:

I have a sequence of huge mesh files (400000+) degrees of freedom, 10000
elements and would like to render a movie using paraview.
I have saved the files as euler_out_{timestep}.vtk, and can render the
animation, it just takes a long time.

Unfortunately, the only way I know how to make a movie is to have
paraview render each image to my computer screen--if a window goes in
front of the image, it ruins the movie.  I would like to be able to
start an animation, leave for the evening, and come back to a movie.
Or work on other things while the movie is being made in the background.

I guess one way is to figure out how to disable my screen saver, etc..
and render over night, but I was wondering if it is possible to have
paraview render completely offline/offscreen (perhaps even on a
different computer)...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-David N.