[Paraview] ParaView 3 and PARAVIEW_EXTRA_EXTERNAL_MODULE

clinton at elemtech.com clinton at elemtech.com
Mon Dec 10 12:23:29 EST 2007

On Friday 07 December 2007 1:03:28 pm Kent Eschenberg wrote:
> clinton at elemtech.com wrote:
> < If the generated GUI isn't what
>
>  > you want, you have to write a plugin.
>
> The generated GUI cannot possibly know the labels, defaults and other
> particulars that are best for the GUI so I guess I'll have to write a
> plugin.

Like Berk said, you probably don't need to, and most ParaView builtin
filters/sources are auto-generated at run time.  So you probably don't need
to make a GUI plugin.

> How do I do that and build the code into paraview during compilation?
> difficult on parallel systems with no shared disk.

Client/GUI side plugins aren't deployed on parallel systems, just on the
client machines.  You could even use PARAVIEW_EXTRA_EXTERNAL_MODULE to build
your server side code into ParaView, and have it work with GUI plugins on the
client side.

> Would I still use PARAVIEW_EXTRA_EXTERNAL_MODULE?

If you want, you can.  Here's the new wiki page I said I'd make.
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ExtendingParaView

Clint