[Paraview] 3.2 Plugin loading

Sean Ziegeler seanzig at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 6 15:05:52 EST 2007

I am developing on Linux, AIX (just barely), and eventually on Windows.
  I assume on OS X, that the PV directory structure is similar, so I
guess the plugin directory would go along with ParaView.app, sort of
(actually the .app would be in bin/ and plugins/ would be in the same
directory alongside bin/).

Anyway, the idea is for the administrator (whomever installed PV in this
case) to be able to simply place common plugins in that directory.
Individual users can still load their own plugins via Plugin Manager or
by setting the PV_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable.

It should be possible to select some default directory for users based
on each platform, the one you recommended for OS X, perhaps
~/.config/ParaView for most other Unices, and similarly in the user's
Application Data directory in Windows.  It's not a bad idea, but I'm on
the fence about it because I don't think we should try to search every
possible combination of directories when PV_PLUGIN_PATH is available for
use.  The question is where to draw the line.

Clint is likely going to replace my code with something a little more
generic (based on the location of the executable as provided by argv[0]
instead of the install path).  He might also have a good idea about
something for user directories.

-Sean