[Paraview] ParaView cause crash! (Linux )

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Fri Aug 31 14:36:29 EDT 2007

LV Jiangning wrote:
> I run glxgears, it gives the same warning:
> libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
> 2861 frames in 5.0 seconds = 572.090 FPS
> 3003 frames in 5.0 seconds = 600.597 FPS
> 2989 frames in 5.0 seconds = 597.705 FPS
>
> If I compile the paraview from source using Mesa, will it has problem to
> view a really large file( ~100M) without hardware  acceleration?

The size of the file is not the same as the size of the graphics (e.g., the
number of triangles in your display). You probably don't yet know the size of
the graphics.

It might be better to fix the problem rather than working around it with Mesa.
You could start by entering the command "xdpyinfo". It will tell you about your
basic graphics environment including visual 0x4b. If that doesn't work then X
windows is not working correctly and even Mesa will not help.

Next, reinstall the driver for your graphics card. For example, Nvidia graphics
cards work best with the drivers from Nvidia. This should also install header
files and libraries that are used by ParaView. For example, on many Linux
systems, the Nvidia driver will include header files installed in /usr/include/GL.

If you have problems with X windows or the graphics driver you should probably
try to find someone in your area who can help. There are so many different
types of Linux and graphics cards that it is very difficult to diagnose
problems in those areas over the web.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center