[Paraview] Trouble with parallel plus transparency

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Tue Aug 7 12:04:47 EDT 2007

I never seem to have any luck when I try to use transparency. I have a
surface and some glyphs. I wish to make the surface transparent and
render the glyphs solid, but when I try, I pretty much always get this...

Building Locator:
Building Locator:
Process id: 9 >> ERROR: In
/users/biddisco/code/ParaView3/VTK/Parallel/vtkPKdTree.cxx, line 298
vtkPKdTree (0x4812c50): (process 9) NumberOfDatasets = 0, cannot
determine volume bounds.

followed by system lock up. I'm using 16GPUs for the rendering and 1
client.

Also - In general the performance is very poor - if I try to use LOD it
seems that once the quadric clustering is run, I can interact with the
data at low res, if I release the mouse the high res image is generated
- but the next time I interact, I have to wait 30 zxeconds before
anything appears again - it locks up in MPI move data every time - which
seems a bit rubbish when the LOD has already been generated locally. I
can't find a good compromise for LOD and compositing - no matter what I
use, everything either locks up or crashes.

Can anyone
a) direct me to how to fix the locator problem above
b) suggest why the LOD is regenerated every time I interact and not
cached. Is there some new control that I don't know about - or general
tips etc?

thanks

JB

--