[Paraview] PV3 questions

Amy Squillacote amy.squillacote at kitware.com
Tue Apr 3 09:20:39 EDT 2007

Randy Heiland wrote:
> I've begun playing around with PV3 and have downloaded the latest alpha
> (2.9.9) binary for Linux.  Should I expect the pvserver to run in parallel
> and, if so, are there requirements for my installed MPI?  E.g., I am running
> LAM/MPI and when I try:
> % mpirun -np 2 pvserver
>
> I get:
> Listen on port: 11111
> ERROR: In /home/berk/.../vtkProcessModuleConnectionManager.cxx, line 180
> ... Failed to set up server socket.

The PV3 binaries aren't built with MPI; there are too many different
varieties to build a separate binary for each one. If you want to run
pvserver in parallel, you'll need to build it yourself with MPI support.
(Set the PARAVIEW_USE_MPI CMake variable to ON).
> An unrelated question - can I/how can I turn off auto-update in the client?
> E.g., if I want to edit a color map, but don't want changes to happen
> immediately.

I don't think there's a way to turn this on / off.
> What's the timeframe on a PV3 book - or does it not differ significantly
> from PV2 to warrant one?

There are definitely enough changes from PV2 to PV3 to warrant a new
book. We're planning to start work on it in the near future.

- Amy

--
Amy Squillacote
Kitware, Inc.