[Paraview] building paraview on a linux box...

fred fredmfp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 13:00:53 EDT 2006

Hi the list,

Trying to build paraview, I have a few questions.

First, after built it, paraview complains it does not find tcl8.4 lib.
tcl8.4 is in /usr/lib (as tk8.4) , but paraview does not look for in it,
but :

ParaView error: InitializeTcl failed
Tcl_Init error: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
    /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 /home/lib/tcl8.4 /lib/tcl8.4 /home/library
/library /tcl8.4.5/library /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4

I have set LD_LIBRARY_PATH because I need it, but paraview should look
for in /usr/lib, no ?

If I set a link in /usr/local/lib/{tcl,tk} to /usr/lib, it works fine,
but I don't like this solution ;-)

I don't see anything in concern with TCL_INCLUDE_PATH (as in building VTK).
What am I doing wrong ?

Second, I have already vtk (5.0) built/installed in /usr/local.
But building paraview seems to build it anyway.
How can I tell to paraview building to use the already existing vtk in
/usr/local ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

--