[Paraview] Linking Paraview with already installed libraries

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 20:06:05 EDT 2006

Let me try to explain better:

* The latest official release of VTK is 5.0.
* ParaView does not work with VTK 5.0 (we have made changes, additions and
bug fixes to VTK since then).
* It is too much work and also too complicated to release a special VTK for
ParaView. We have documentation, books and other support products that have
to match the VTK release.
* We do not want to be bound to an official release of VTK because ParaView
releases are much more often than VTK releases
* Next time we make a release (ParaView 2.6 in November), we will branch
VTK. We will not create an official VTK release. 5.2 will probably be much
later.
* Debian and other distributions should use the latest official VTK release

When ParaView release cycle slows down and can match VTK's in the future, we
will consider synchronizing the two. As for Tk, we are switching to Qt and
we will not include Qt in the ParaView source. Therefore, it will be
possible to link against an external Qt.

As for Debian packages,  it should be possible to include the VTK that
ParaView needs in such a package. If the issue is naming conflicts, we can
change the cmake scripts to name ParaView's VTK libraries appropriately to
avoid conflicts.

-berk