[Paraview] ParaView and Ensight

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 16:39:35 EST 2006

I think the real cause for complaint here is his comparison of using Open
source Software to funding Terrorism by taking money out of US corporation's
pockets.  Just like Ensight, ParaView/Kitware has accepted funds from
Private Industry & the Government to develop the product they have today.

And I would argue with your point #2... I often find open-source software
far superior to "paid" systems :)

On 11/11/06, Paul Adams <paul.adams.jr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you dispute the facts that Kent Misegades lays out?
>
> 1. ParaView was funded by DoE and DoD labs.  That is an incontrovertible
> fact.  When you launch ParaView, you see the Los Alamos National Laboratory,
> Sandia National Laboratories, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, and
> U.S. Army Research Laboratory logos on the splash page.  In case you miss
> it, you can always find it under Help-->About.
> 2. The national laboratories are funded by U.S. taxpayers.  Again, this is
> an incontrovertible fact.
> 3. ParaView is given away freely.  Again, this is an incontrovertible
> fact.
>
> Do you think that ParaView would be in as good a shape IF the U.S.
> taxpayer did not fund it via the DoE and DoD?
>
> My point is this:
> 1. Kitware received U.S. taxpayer money via the DoD and DoE to make it the
> product it is.
> 2. Open-Source is not a panacea.  Paying someone good money to develop a
> good product is still the best way to make good software.
> 3. EnSight is still a great product and can do things that ParaView cannot
> do.
> 4. ParaView is still a great product and can do things that EnSight cannot
> do.
>
> I view ParaView and EnSight as tools in the toolbox.  I use whichever one
> will best solve the current problem I have.  Sometimes the answer is that
> neither one will solve the problem so I have to write my own code.
>
> Paul Adams
>

> On 11/9/06, Renato N. Elias <rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br> wrote:
> >

> > Hi people,
> >
> > I think ParaView has been annoying some CEI's guys out there
> >
> > http://www.cfd-online.com/Forum/main.cgi?read=49375
> >
> > Look at this:
> > "...ParaView has been developed at a great expense to US taxpayers at
> > DOD
> > and DOE labs, then is given away freely to anyone on the planet. If you
> > pay
> > taxes in the US, I am sure that you find this as disagreeable as do
> > we...(Kent Misegades President, CEI Inc.)"
> >
> > This is the worst argument I've ever seen... how disgusting... :-(
> >
> > Renato.
> >
> > p.s.: this message is not to inflame anyone. It's just to show how dirty
> > someone can be to recover his "mine of gold", which has been
> > vanishing...

Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist
ERDC MSRC-ITL