[Paraview] isosurface transparency issues

W. Bryan Smith bryan at ncmir.ucsd.edu
Thu May 25 17:54:03 EDT 2006

apologies if this posted twice... but i did not
see it.

Hi,

I am running ParaView 2.4.3 or 2.5, compiled
with or without mpi support, and I am seeing
something unexpected:

I am loading two separate 3-D images saved as
legacy vtk files and attempting to render
isosurfaces of the data.  the images are
thresholded, such that all the pixels in image1
are equal to 10, and all the pixels in image2
are equal to 20 (just for example).  each image
defines an object that is distinct in space from
objects in the other image.  so far, this is
working fine: i read in both images, render an
isosurface at value 10 for image 1, at 20 for
image 2, and i can color them separately without
any trouble.  problem is, when i set some
transparency values to the isosurfaces and then
rotate the volume to get a different angle, one
of the isosurfaces occludes the other such that
it is entirely invisible.  in case that is not
clear, here are a couple images of what i am
talking about:

http://ncmir.ucsd.edu/~bryan/PVimage001.jpg
http://ncmir.ucsd.edu/~bryan/PVimage002.jpg
http://ncmir.ucsd.edu/~bryan/PVimage003.jpg

so the gray blob in the top left corner of
PVimage001.jpg appears to have jumped to the
foreground in PVimage002.jpg, even though the
green one, in reality, should be in front.

can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong
(and/or if you need more info to help
troubleshoot this)?

thanks,
bryan

W. Bryan Smith
UCSD/NCMIR
9500 Gilman Drive # 0608
La Jolla, CA, 92093-0608

The illusion that we are separate from one another
is an optical delusion of our consciousness.
                                -Albert Einstein