[Paraview] build with openmpi?

W. Bryan Smith bryan at ncmir.ucsd.edu
Thu May 11 17:17:47 EDT 2006

On 5/11/06, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:

> Redirecting to the list.  Any chance we could have replies automatically
> sent to the list?

sure... sorry about that.

Be sure these are the right mpicc and mpicxx versions and not another
> MPI's.  I suspect the .la line is roughly equivalent to what I sent.

these are the only  mpicc and mpicxxs on the path:

{iridium_51} which mpicxx
/local2/openmpi1.0.2/bin/mpicxx
{iridium_52} which mpicc
/local2/openmpi1.0.2/bin/mpicc

Hmmm, looks like it doesn't think that your paraview is really an MPI
> program.  OpenMPI's orterun/mpirun/mpiexec (all the same) can launch
> non-MPI programs on multiple nodes as well.

indeed... even with your version of the LIBRARY path, when i

mpiexec -n 4 paraview

it opens 4 paraview windows, not just one window with parallel support.  too
bad.  guess i will be using mpich for now.

However, I've never actually compiled paraview with openmpi (yet), so I
> don't have any real experience.  I'll have to try it sometime though.

it would be interesting to see if you notice the same behaviour.

bryan