[Paraview] I only want to see the bodys in a 3d-unstructured grid

Jean M. Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Thu Mar 30 03:34:46 EST 2006

Steffen.Kunze at dlr.de wrote:
> Hi
>
> I do have an unstructured grid (saved in vtkXML-format). This grid surrounds some kind of bodys (in my case wings and stuff like this). The surface of the bodys is discribed by surface-triangles and -quads. I only want to have a free look at the body´s surface, but I still need the surrounding grid for streamlines and so on. -> I want to have something like you can see on the Paraview-Screenshot-page - picture called "CFD analysis of the..." (http://www.paraview.org/Art/BigShot12.jpg)
> My problem is the following:
> When I do make an (Banded)SurfaceMap Paraview still presents the surface of the surrounding grid (although there are no surfacetriangles or -quads) and this surface is of course in the line of sight to my body. I only want to see the surfacetriangles and quad of my body!
>
> Does anyone has an idea how to manage it?

ParaView defaults to showing the external surface of a volume, and that
is what you are seeing.

The picture I contributed was made by loading the volume data in memory
and making it invisible. The surface of the solid is extracted by a
second filter which knows exactly (from a description in our custom file
format) which triangles make the surface. It creates two outputs when
reading the file. Output 0 is the volume, Output 1 is the surface.
Coordinates of points are reference-counted (shared).

Using a box-clipper like others have suggested will work in simple
cases, but I have found it too difficult to deal with multiple objects,
and multiple boundary-conditions on the walls. Creating explicit objects
classified by their boundary condition types guarantees clean
extraction. You can then easily distinguish between symmetry walls,
inlets, outlets, solid surfaces, etc...

Jean

--
Dr. Jean M. Favre,                            email:favre @ cscs.ch