[Paraview] RES: [vtkusers] Extracting an unstructured grid from Ensight case files...

Renato N. Elias rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br
Wed Mar 29 14:57:48 EST 2006

Hi Randall, thanks for your advice...

This subject has been drive me crazy!!!

- I can't read SOS files since they are written by Fortran routines;

- I can't save transient data in VTK since VTK does not have support to
transient data... ok, it can be overcame through PVD files;

- I can't save grid and results separetely... Ok, I can save them together
but it would give unnecessary data being replicated;

- I tried the Stephane approach (opening the file as unstructured and saving
with only one write) but the number of parameters passed to the "write"
function is greater than the limit that the function supports to write;

- I open the file (ENSIGHT6) as binary (my Fortran has support to it) but PV
only read my files in serial modes (SOS does not work)

- Ensight Gold binary written by Fortran does not work as well

- Ok, Ensight format in ASCII works fine but it would give me huge and very
slow files...

- Ok, there's a Fortran/VTK library distributed with PV, but I'd have to
install VTK or port the library to any machine I use (and I'm not a system
administrator to do it).

- I only get success when reading Ensight6 Fortran/Binary data in serial
mode.

I'm feeling that I (and other Fortran programmers) have no choice... I know
that PV and VTK have different Ensight readers, but why do the VTK readers
work with my files and in PV it is not always possible? Furthermore, how can
Ensight read Fortran unstructured/binary and C/C++ files without any
problem? Within the files have a "C binary" and a "Fortran binary"
indication, can't it be used to guide the right way of reading the file?

I don't know what I should do... I was writing this script to convert a
bunch of results that I have stored but I'm almost giving up and going
through write a C writer for my Fortran programs (unfortunately, it won't
solve the problem of my results stored - only if I do another file
converter)

Regards

Renato N. Elias
PhD student - http://www.nacad.ufrj.br/~rnelias