[Paraview] Compositing

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Mar 21 11:43:03 EST 2006

If there is not much difference between your server nodes and client,
you can very easily move all the geometry to the client and render
locally.  In "3D View Properties" under "LOD Parameters" there is an
entry titled "Composite."  That entry has a slider bar that represents
the threshold at which geometry is moved to the client.  If necessary,
you can move that slider to the right so that it collects bigger
geometries.  You can also unclick the box to turn off compositing
altogether and always collect polygons.  This will backfire on you,
however, if you are rendering a large quantity of data.

If you really want the geometry to be collected on one of the server
nodes, you will have to run in client/render server/data server mode.
Make the data server span all 6 machines and the render server reside on
one of them.  It should be OK to have a render server and data server
share a node so long as memory is not a problem.  This configuration
will force all the geometry to be pushed to the single render server
node where it will be rendered and delivered to the client.

Performance-wise is this a good idea?  That depends on your system
configuration.  Unless your server rendering hardware is way faster than
your client and your cluster interconnect really sucks, then probably
not.  I recommend experimenting with the "Composite" and "Subsample
Rate" options first to try to find a good compromise amongst rendering
speed, image quality, and data management.

-Ken