[Paraview] Ensight Particle format problem - Segfault update

Viksit Gaur vik.list.vtk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 16:00:10 EST 2006

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I was experimenting with both the measured
and point formats. The latter seems easier, but gives me some
troubles. The former, on the other hand, doesn't load at all.

For the Measured particle files - I tried the following, as suggested:

-- viksit_ascii.case --
#EnSight Gold file written by VTK

FORMAT
type: ensight gold

GEOMETRY
Model: 1 viksit_ascii.geo
Measured: 1  viksit_ascii.geo

(And the same .geo file as i put in the last email, can be viewed below).
This just gives a segfault to paraview, without any inkling of what
the error might possibly be.  And since I don't have access to Ensight
itself, I can't verify if the file format itself is correct using
env_checker. I recall seeing the program on some public FTP site, and
I'm trying to find it. Now, I'm making the assumption that the case
file and the .geo file are all that are required - I don't use any
time steps yet, nor am I using any variables - vector or scalar.

Secondly, I tried the point element format as suggested in the
previous email. From http://www.ensight.com/FAQ/faq.0062.html, I was
able to obtain a sample data set which renders well with Paraview.
However, I run into a couple of problems here too:

a) The points show up as blocks (small cube structures) (and visible
only when the point size is increased to 8 or so). Is there anyway to
render them as small spheres (to simulate say, closely packed
particles of spherical origin - or any other forms). I tried using
glyphs on the data, but from what I could make out, you can only
select a particular glyph (say a sphere) for one data point at a time
and not for the entire dataset.

b) The tutorial format has the following timesteps:
TIME
time set:                  1
number of steps:           6
filename start number:     0
filename increment:        1
time values:               1.0  2.0  3.0  4.0  5.0 6.0

When pressing the animate button in Paraview however, it crashes, this
time with some (hopefully) helpful messages!

-- Error message--

# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
/home/viksit/work/simulations/paraview-2.4.2/VTK/Filtering/vtkActor2D.cxx
(95)
 vtkActor2D (0xc236150): vtkActor2D::Render - No mapper set
ErrorMessage end
ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
/home/viksit/work/simulations/paraview-2.4.2/VTK/Filtering/vtkExecutive.cxx
(688)
 vtkUpdateSuppressorPipeline (0xc2368a8): Algorithm
vtkPVUpdateSuppressor(0xc2361b8) returned failure for request:
vtkInformation (0xc1534c8)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 1597343
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
ErrorMessage end
ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
/home/viksit/work/simulations/paraview-2.4.2/Servers/Filters/vtkPVUpdateSuppressor.cxx
(64)
 vtkPVUpdateSuppressor (0xc2361b8): No valid input.
ErrorMessage end
Segmentation fault

----- End of error message ----

I was wondering if there were any insights to be had on these problems.

Thanks, and Regards,
Viksit