[Paraview] How to save points from a cut

Dominik Szczerba domi at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 1 07:09:44 EST 2006

I do it in C++, TCL would be similar

//==================================
#include <cassert>
#include "vtk/vtkCell.h"
#include "vtk/vtkCellData.h"
#include "vtk/vtkStructuredGrid.h"
#include "vtk/vtkStructuredGridWriter.h"
#include "vtk/vtkImageData.h"
#include "vtk/vtkStructuredPoints.h"
#include "vtk/vtkStructuredPointsReader.h"
#include "vtk/vtkStructuredPointsWriter.h"

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
  vtkStructuredPointsReader* reader = vtkStructuredPointsReader::New();
  reader->SetFileName(argv[1]);

  vtkStructuredPoints* grid = reader->GetOutput();
  grid->Update();

  vtkStructuredPointsWriter* writer = vtkStructuredPointsWriter::New();
  writer->SetInput(grid);
  writer->SetFileName(argv[2]);
  writer->SetFileTypeToASCII();
  //writer->SetFileTypeToBinary();
  writer->Write();

  reader->Delete();
  writer->Delete();
  return 0;
}

tchumat at astro.helsinki.fi wrote:
> Hello Dominik,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
> Can you also give me a hit on which TCP script to use? That would be great!
>
> Tchu
>
>> Save the file as legacy, but AFAIR this will give you a binary file. But
>> this you can already read yourself (will be big endian) - or use a
>> simple TCL script or C++ code to convert it to ASCII.
>> --ds
>>
>> tchumat at astro.helsinki.fi wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> This is probably a newbie question, but I simply do not find the answer
>>> myself.
>>> I am  running paraview on linux, open a vtk file, the header of the file
>>> I am opening looks like that:
>>> ASCII                     DATASET POLYDATA          POINTS   10818
>>> float
>>>
>>> What I would like to do, is to store the points and triangles after I
>>> have cut this object in to a file, which has plain text, as it was the
>>> case for the input file. The problem, I have is that I do not find the
>>> setting to change the encoding of the save-format to the format where
>>> the points are stored in ASCII text.
>>> Is this possible? What I get, if I store the results of the cut in a
>>> file I allways get the encoded data <AppendedData encoding="base64">,
>>> which I can not process further.
>>> I really tried all the formats like vtk, pvd, ply etc, but all of them
>>> store the data somehow encoded.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much!
>>>
>>> Tchu

>> --