RES: [Paraview] Common problems with Ensight

Renato N. Elias rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br
Thu Jun 29 12:44:42 EDT 2006

Hi Stephane,

I've tried to save some files opened as "unformatted" following what you
said some time ago (I remember you've posted something regarding it). The
problem was that my Fortran compiler (Compaq and Intel 8.x/9.x) was not able
to save a long list of parameters passed to the WRITE statement (my list of
parameters is much larger than yours).

Regarding the second point: I know about the "cache geometry". In fact, I
seldom leave this option enabled when I'm animating something. Actually, my
question was about the number of time steps. Have you got success animating
more than 1000 time steps? In my case, PV always crashed before finishing to
open my case file. It seems PV tries to read and check all files before
showing the "time step" list on the "select time value" tab.

By the way, I don't know nothing about visualization algorithms but I guess
PV should have an option in order to allow an offscreen video rendering just
as Ensight do. Maybe it could improve the video rendering process. Instead
of loading and rendering each time step, the engine could only record the
changes between frames. Sorry if I'm saying something stupid... It's just
speculation from someone that doesn't have any background in visualization
;-)

Regards

Renato N. Elias
PhD student - http://www.nacad.ufrj.br/~rnelias