[Paraview] Question about mangled mesa/osmesa

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Mon Jun 5 13:12:31 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 10:36 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
< snip >

> > Building Mangled Mesa for Fedora Extras is a good idea! I've never had
> > ParaView with mesa and mangled mesa working though. I hear the mangling
> > in the newest stable version is broken somehow.
>
> Any details on this?

Unfortunately no. I'm only going off of Mailing list postings like this:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2006-April/084799.html

It could be as simple as Mangled Mesa 6.0.1 is reported to work, 6.5
( the current CVS version ) is reported not to work, while no body has
said anything about 6.4.2.

> > I've always assumed VTK_USE_MANGLED_MESA and VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA were
> > mutually exclusive, because if OpenGL had an OSMesa I wouldn't need a
> > Mangled Mesa. Maybe that's why it never works for me.
>
> Those options are.  I'm wondering if using VTK_USE_MANGLED_MESA would
> somehow prevent that version of paraview from using on screen rendering.
>   I'm guessing not, but would like to be sure.

I hope not.

The only thing that's worked for me for both onscreen and offscreen
rendering is to use Mesa 6.4.2 with no DRI as the only GL.