[Paraview] Creating a reader: Problem with extension

Terry Jordan Terry.Jordan at sa.netl.doe.gov
Fri Jun 2 12:35:03 EDT 2006

I am working on a reader for OpenFOAM and encountering a problem.
OpenFOAM is a group of files with no extensions.  The file I inital open
is called controlDict, so I used "controlDict" as my "extensions".  This
workaround allows me to see my files but if I just select it when doing
a file open I get an error (it tries to attach the first extensions in
the Paraview files list) "File XXXX does not exist".  So I have to
choose "OpenFOAM Files" in "Files of Type" which allows me to proceed
and is followed by another error "Could not find an appropiate reader
file XXXX. Would you like to manually select the reader of this file?".
>From here I can select my reader, again, and it does work, but this is
going to be a headache for any one who uses this.  I have asked the
OpenFoam developers if the can add a file extension and they are
unwilling.  Is there anyway this can be fixed on the paraview side?

Terry E. Jordan Jr.
SAIC
3610 Collins Ferry Road
Morgantown, WV 26505