[Paraview] 3D Deformable Registration Deformation Field

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 11 17:09:46 EDT 2006

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for letting us know that you found the source
of the error in the voxels spacing of your datasets.

Regarding the validation, unfortunately there are no
standards on how to validate deformable registration.

The common approach is to artificially generate a
deformation field by using ThinPlateSplines, use this
artificial deformation field in order to create a
deformed version of your image. Then use your registration
method between the original and the deformed image, and
finally compare the artificial deformation field against
the one that you produced with the registration method.

Another option is to compare the resampled deformed image
against the original image (via a squared image difference).

 From the pragmatic point of view, I would not expect
to be able to recover a deformation field because in
most cases the problem is not invertible. In any case,
for a medical application it is worth to design some
verification test.

    Regards,

       Luis