[Paraview] PV crashed when saving image

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Sat Jul 8 12:47:21 EDT 2006

Berk Geveci wrote:
> I saw that in one build I had and then I couldn't reproduce it. It is
> weird. I will look into it when I come back from vacation in a week.
> I'll ask Clint to check it out while I am gone.
>
> -Berk

Ok, I checked it out and found a few things....
The patch to "fix" the Xlib error, which led to the flickering was
incorrect.  I backed it out.  There's nothing wrong with our Pbuffer
impelementation in VTK.

So we're back to the Xlib error.

I made the following program (see attached) and did the following....

1)
g++ main.cxx -lGL
./a.out
# no errors

2)
g++ main.cxx -Wl,-rpath=/usr/lib64 -lGL
./a.out
# I get
X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length error)
  Major opcode of failed request:  145 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  28 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  33

The embedded rpath is all it took.

For 1), ldd a.out gives /usr/lib64/nvidia/libGL.so.1   because my
ld.so.conf prefers that (which the nvidia installer did).
For 2), ldd a.out gives /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1  which is not the nvidia
GL library.

So, I found two ways to have VTK/ParaView build using the nvidia client
gl library.
a)  If I remove all /usr/lib64/lib*.so from my CMakeCache.txt file and
replace them with -l*  (replace /usr/lib64/libGL.so  with -lGL) then
CMake won't embed /usr/lib64 in the binaries, and it works fine.
b) I can set my opengl library to the full path,
/usr/lib64/nvidia/libGL.so (instead of /usr/lib64/libGL.so which is
found by default) and it works fine.

So, is it our fault for not building the binaries correctly, or is it
nvidia's fault for their glx server not being compatible with another
client gl library?  Or both?

Clint