[Paraview] New snapshot of ParaView 2.9 (to be ParaView 3.0)

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Fri Jul 7 13:29:00 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I posted the june snapshot of ParaView 2.9 (to be 3.0) on the web. The files are at:
http://paraview.org/files/v2.9/
There are binaries for linux (x86) and windows. Make sure you download 2.9.1.
2.9.0 is the snapshot from May. I also uploaded an exodus file
(disk_out_ref.exo). It is good file to play with to see some of the new features.

We wanted to open the CVS repository this week but I am leaving on vacation for
a week (yeay!) and I ran out of time. It will have to wait until I come back.

Some new features to look for (in no particular order):

* Support for more file formats (exodus reader is still the one that is tested
and customized best)
* Statistics view
* Two undo/redo stacks: 1. pipeline operations (ctrl+z, ctrl+r) 2. view
operation (ctrl+b, ctrl+f)
* Visibility control on the pipeline inspector
* Selection (still at alpha, use toolbar buttons or 's' key to switch between
interaction & selection)
* Support for more sources
* Support for contour and streamlines filters
* Support for saving & loading state
* Saving screenshot
* Saving animation. Very alpha. It only support creating animations from readers
that support time (File->Save Animation)
* Bug fixes

We are working on:

* Readers/filters
* Custom filters (being able to create custom filters by selection part of a
pipeline, saving, loading and instantiating them)
* Full featured animation
* Colormap editor
* Application/3D view settings
* Python interface
* Selection
* Server connection interface

Longer term:

* Support for multiple views
* Client side plotting using Qt widgets (2D plots, histogram)
* Multiple server connection
* Multiple client connection

Some of these features are already in alpha stage and are enabled in the CVS
development tree. I disabled them to make binaries. Use the snapshots and CVS at
your own risk. I would not recommend using 2.9 for production use. Bug reports
are obviously welcome :-)

I'll be thinking of you in Maine (or maybe not).

-Berk