[Paraview] HW acceleration in client/server mode

Sean Ziegeler, Contractor seanzig.ctr at navo.hpc.mil
Fri Jul 7 10:18:32 EDT 2006

Alain,
I'm going to reply to the mailing list too.  This problem appears on the
list from time to time, so it might benefit others.

I see one thing that might be deceiving you.  When you echo environment
variables through rsh, you need to put single quotes around the echo
statement or the env var, or else your shell on your local host will do
the substitution instead of the remote host.  For example,
rsh node# 'echo $DISPLAY'

So, I'd try running #3 and #5 again.

But based on the response from #2 ("Can't open display: "), with nothing
after the colon, I'd say that DISPLAY isn't set.

Apparently, rsh (though not ssh) doesn't source your .bashrc by
default.  You might try creating a .bash_profile that sources your
.bashrc.  If that doesn't work, try the same thing with .profile.

Finally, there may be a way to configure rshd to source your init files
properly, but I'm not sure about it.  I use ssh, so I haven't had this
sort of problem.

-Sean