[Paraview] PV in client-server mode: external window "Visualization Toolkit: OpenGL"?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Thu Jul 6 14:14:11 EDT 2006

Hi Peter,

Yup that's very normal. The OpenGL titled window that you are seeing is
the server side render window. When running in client server mode and
compositing is enabled, all renders on geometry greater than the user
specified threshold are sent to the (render) server. If compositing is
disabled (or compositing threshold is greater than geometry size), the
client renders locally. In either case, the final rendered result is
shown on the client.

If you don't want the server to render at all thus avoiding the poping
up of the OpenGL titled window, from the "View" menu
select "3D View Properties" and unselect the check box next to
"Composite". Note that the "Composite" slider/checkbox is visible only
when running in client-server mode.

Alternatively, you can use OffScreenRendering on the server side to
avoid the creation of the render window.

Utkarsh.