[Paraview] viewing properties that are discontinuous across cell boundaries

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Mon Jul 3 12:55:14 EDT 2006

--On Monday, July 03, 2006 09:18:38 AM -0700 "Peter J. Bismuti"
<pjb9508 at vashon.ca.boeing.com> wrote:
> We have developers interested in viewing properties that are
> discontinuous  across cell faces/edges.  It could be higher-order
> derivatives, or the  basis-functions themselves are discontinuous.

ParaView can do this now in certain situations. Such variables are termed
"cell data" as opposed to "node data" (also called "point data"). Many
methods require node data; however, converting from cell data to node data
uses averaging and therefore eliminates the discontinuity.

I use two methods to display cell data directly. "Cut" will color each cell
with the selected cell variable. "Cell Centers" can turn cell data into
points without interpolation, and "Glyph" can then display each point
(scalar or vector) with a sphere or arrow.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center