[Paraview] Writing binary files: C/Fortran interface to VTK XMLfiles.

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 15:13:43 EST 2006

It's got a bit of a learning curve, but have you thought about trying to
integrate HDF5 into your code?  It supports a whole heck of alot of
datatypes, and has built-in compression.  Couple it with Xdmf from ARL
(Write an HDF5 file & a simple ascii Metadata file) or Xmdf from ERDC (Just
write the HDF5 stuff into specially named fields) and it's pretty nice to
work with.

On 1/31/06, Dominik Szczerba <domi at vision.ee.ethz.ch> wrote:

> I see the point. And yes, I want to stay far away from ASCII. So what
> format would you recommend to STORE my results in a COMPRESSED way
> maintaining readability with Paraview? Any binary legacy file I produce
> takes gigabytes - crunched with gzip a fraction of it, but paraview
> won't read it. ASCII is simply prohibitive, base64'ed with
> zlibcompressor not much better. At the moment I store my results in my
> own gzipped format, and convert them to VTK format on demand - but that
> is pretty annoying.
> regards,
> --dsz
>
> Berk Geveci wrote:
> > Base64 encoding is only necessary if you want your XML file to be
> > ASCII. This is necessary if you want the file to conform to XML so
> > that the file can be opened in XML viewers (like a browser). Also,
> > some people prefer transferring ASCII files instead of binary files.
> > If you are not interested in either of these, there is no need to have
> > base64 encoding. I would recommend not using it in fact. One of these
> > days I will change the default in paraview so that it does not write
> > base64 encoded files.
> >

> > On 1/31/06, Dominik Szczerba <domi at vision.ee.ethz.ch> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to interupt your discussion but nobody ever explained me this: why
> > use base64 encoding at all? Isint it a step back to huge ASCII files??
> > E.g. I see no significant compression with the VTK's zlib compressor
> > when using XML data files because the compressed stream is converted to
> > ASCII. Will someone kindly explain me this paradox?
> > Thanks
> > Dominik
> >
> > Thierry Dubuis wrote:
> >
> >>There are lot of encoding Base 64 program on the web but only in C, Java
> >>or Visual Basic.
> >
> >>If you can use C/C++ compiler, I thing the best way for you is to use
> >>the Brad King's fortran code example (see my last email).
> >>To convert a data array to a string in C we use the memory copy in
> >>fortran I don't know.
> >>Could you use pointer? 2 pointer on the same memory adress
> >>1. the fist with the real*8 type
> >>2. the second with a character type
> >
> >>Try in this way.
> >
> >>Best regards,