[Paraview] Particle Simulation and Paraview modification?

Viksit Gaur vik.list.vtk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 01:03:13 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm developing a particle simulation system for some physics
experiments, and I'm exploring VTK and Paraview to do so. Till now,
the extensive (and excellent) documentation available for both leads
me to believe that since both are being used extensively, they should
solve my purpose.

That said, I wanted to gauge an opinion on the method I've thought I
should use -

The simulation is of certain particles whose coordinates are given in
time steps, and they need to be represented by glyphs - spheres,
boxes, and so on. I would then like to be able to see these particles
move over a given time period, and have the ability to track a certain
particle through its sequences.

How I think I could go about it, is:
We use a custom format to represent the simulation data, and thus I
would need to create a VTKReader for this. Next, this reader has to be
included with Paraview, and data can be loaded. The next part is what
I'm unsure about - to be able to zero in and select a particular
particle from the simulation, does Paraview source need to be
modified? Or can i write TCL scripts to do so? Or, better still, is
this functionality provided already?

Thank you,
Cheers!

Viksit