[Paraview] Debugging ParaView while trying to add a reader

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Fri Feb 24 12:04:51 EST 2006

Hi all, I'm trying to add a reader to ParaView that we already have
working in VTK.  I've modified the PVLocal example and gotten a library
to be built, as far as I can tell correctly, but am still having
trouble getting things to work.

ParaView imports my package correctly, and gives me the option for the
correct file type, but I have little luck after that.  It seems the
file type is not completely associated with my reader, because ParaView
asks which reader I would like to use when opening a file of that type.
Fortunately my reader is present in the list ParaView presents.

Unfortunately things still don't work.  ParaView gets a segmentation
fault very quickly after I set the reader.  The GUI does seem to get
drawn before the fault occurs.

The most difficult part is that I can't seem to debug this.  When I ran
it through GDB, I had no debugging symbols, despite explicitly
compiling in `Debug' mode.  After a bit of searching, I found that
paraview is execvp()-ing another program, `paraview-real', which is why
I'm not getting the expected Debug symbols.

However despite my cloning the arguments to
`kwsys_shared_forward_execv', I can't seem to run `paraview-real'
directly -- it just gives me a usage summary and bails out.

How is one supposed to debug (a completely local) ParaView?
Alternatively, maybe someone can guess what I've done wrong with my
external package, but I suspect I don't have enough information to give
much help there.

I'm using ParaView 2.4.2 and GDB 6.4 on an opteron-based Linux
workstation.

Thanks,

-tom