[Paraview] parallel paraview: display not updated

Stefan Friedel stefan.friedel at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Feb 9 03:34:00 EST 2006

Hi Randall et al.,
> In running basic Client-Server model, the following seems to work:
>
> 1) On the server:  mpirun -np <number> pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering
> --render-module=MPIRenderModule
> 2) On the client:   pvclient --server-host=<servername>
no, does not work: server is starting...and the client is connecting:

~/TMP/mpichgm_gccwssh/bin/mpirun.ch_gm --gm-tree-spawn -np 2 -machinefile ./mach256 /export/system/paraview/bin/pvserver --render-module=MPIRenderModule --use-offscreen-rendering
Listen on port: 11111
Waiting for client...
connected to port 11111
Client connected.

~/TMP/mpichgm_gccwssh/bin/mpirun.ch_gm -np 1 -machinefile ./mach256  /export/system/paraview/bin/pvclient --server-host=node256
Connect to node256:11111

(and I can see gm ports in use, so the MPI communication between the two
pvserver processes is also opened); but the view panel on the right is still
showing some old buffer content (moving another window over this part of the
Paraview client window will produce "traces" of the window etc.)

> If you have to use reverse-connection (the Server connects to the client),
> then use the following:
> 1) On the client: pvclient -rc
> 2) On the server: mpirun -np <number> pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering
> --render-module=MPIRenderModule -rc -ch=<clientname>
Same behaviour...
~/TMP/mpichgm_gccwssh/bin/mpirun.ch_gm -np 1 -machinefile ./mach256  /export/system/paraview/bin/pvclient -rc
Listen on port: 11111
Waiting for server...
connected to port 11111
Server connected.

 ~/TMP/mpichgm_gccwssh/bin/mpirun.ch_gm --gm-tree-spawn -np 2 -machinefile ./mach256 /export/system/paraview/bin/pvserver --render-module=MPIRenderModule --use-offscreen-rendering -rc -ch=node256
Connect to node256:11111

> the PVX file only seems to be necessary when working with a "fully
> distributed" system (eg, separate Data Servers, Render Servers, and
> Client).  We've cracked some of the dark mysteries of the PVX file here, and
> if necessary I'm happy to share what little we know.
I tried different entries in the pvx, no change/success. As I understand the
definitions for different servers here are not needed for MPI communication -
the MPI server is just one server (regardless of the number of MPI processes),
but different servers in the pvx (declared by Machine Name="..." entries) are
servers which communicate over sockets, right?  Maybe it's a more general
problem, eg. some issue with the mpichgm/gm layer of Myri - I'm waiting for an
answer of the Myri support regarding Paraview on Myri/gm...

The reason for using offscreen rendering is: laziness (no X is installed on the
nodes) but probably the next nodes will not even have any graphics card...
Thank you!, Best Regards, Stefan
--
Zentrale Dienste - Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Wissenschaftliches
Rechnen der Universität Heidelberg - IWR - INF 368, 69120 Heidelberg